See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

11.10.2012

Member Spotlight: Amber Calabrese of Ladybug Dreamland

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Amber Calabrese of Ladybug Dreamland.  Amber hails     from Northern California.  
  
  •  What kind of Art Dolls do you create? I create cute OOAK Art Dolls.
    •   How long have you been a doll maker? I've been making Art Dolls for about a year and a half.

    •   How did you get your start in doll making? I got started by coming across another Doll Artist's work and feeling inspired. I did some studying via google search.
    •   Where did you learn to make dolls? I am self taught and I learned the basics from google on my laptop, in my living room :o)
    •   Share a little about your first doll. When I started my doll making journey I started with Ball Joint Dolls. I made a few of these but they kept coming out too "weird" for me at the time. I didn't prefer the weird fingers or ears and I got a bit discouraged when the faces kept coming out like this. So I moved on to Art Dolls. I've been feeling like making some more ball joint dolls so we'll see what happens!

     •   Do you have a favorite doll that you have made? I tend to fall in love with each one I have just finished, but this is one that really stayed in my heart, maybe because she was my first sale, but this is Jane and I love her very much. 


   •   What is the most difficult aspect in your process, (anatomy/costuming/doing the bloody hair) and how you manage it? I have a hard time with the patience it takes to make the hands.
            I roll out each finger and it's definitely a process to sculpt the hands. I usually wait until the last 
            minute, and then make a bunch at once so I won't have to do it again for a while

 •   Do have any doll artists that inspire you? Oh yes, I gain a lot of inspiration from many Artists, but Alicia Gaultier from the Doll and the Pea is someone who inspires me the most. Her work is also what originally got me started on my doll making journey!
   
    •   What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given? Not to think too much or try to control how the doll will turn out. For me I really took a lot of time worrying about how my dolls would look when finished or what people would think of them. This really took away from the doll making process. After I "let go" so to speak, I let the dolls become however they wanted,
            I can't even describe what a magical, healing, beautiful process it was. It's such an amazing feeling and I love it every time!

   •   Where can our fans find you on line? 
BLOG: http://ladybugdreamland.blogspot.com
SHOP: http://ladybugdreamland.etsy.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/ladybugdreamland
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/ldybugdreamland
FLICKR: http://flickr.com/ladybugdreamland
PINTEREST: http://pinterest.com/ladybugdreamland whew! I think that's all of them :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment