See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

11.05.2012

Member Spotlight: Mindy Bush of Little Bird Artistry

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Mindy Bush of Little Bird Artistry. Mindy is located in the great state of Texas, USA.

What kind of Art Dolls do you create? What is your primary medium? Up until recently I have been working in cloth exclusively – but I am now venturing into the world of air dry clay and am finding it both fun and challenging!

How long have you been a doll maker? How did you get your start in doll making? About 10 years or so but I also paint and do portrait work. I got started with a lot of trial and error! I don't know of any other doll makers close to me here in the Dallas area so the best thing I did was to buy a book about doll making. all for me. Share a little about your first doll. I don’t think I have a picture of my first doll – but I remember I left the face blank because I just did not know how to make it happen. I am pretty sure I told everyone that was the way I wanted her to look and it was my artistic expression! Now - I love creating the face for each doll.

How has your practice change over time? I am much more willing to make a mistake now. If I don’t like how something is working, I learn from it and move on to something different. Now I enjoy the process much more!


Do you have a favorite doll that you have made? I'm not really sure why she is my favorite - maybe because she's one of the first dolls that I tried to problem solve using new (to me) techniques. So much of her was an experiment that when I finished and displayed her, I thought "wow - I made that and I like it!"


What are your favorite materials to create with? Fabric is easiest for me, but now that I am trying clay and not worrying how a piece turns out – I am having fun experimenting!

Where does your inspiration come from? Honestly – I don’t usually have a solid idea about how a piece will look. My dolls just seem to tell the direction they want to go.

What is the most difficult aspect in your process, (anatomy/costuming/doing the bloody hair) and how you manage it? Costuming! ARGHHHHHH! Drives me crazy!


What does your work area look like? Sloppy! I don't actually have a studio - I work on my kitchen table. But I like having all my “STUFF” where I can get my hands on it! So you can imagine what my kitchen looks like - things like - well - cooking can get in my way!

Do you have any doll artists that inspire you? Too many to list – I love seeing what other artists do – can’t help but be inspired! It doesn't matter what medium they work in - I love it all!

Where can our fans find you on line?  http://littlebirdartistry.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment