See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

12.10.2012

Member Spotlight: Jan Bush-Wood from Lucy's Baby

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Jan Bush-Wood from Lucy's Baby. Jan is from Elk River, Minnesota. 



Where did you learn to make dolls?

In 2009, I started an online class with Cloth and Clay Dolls. I never thought I could make a doll!
The tutorial was easy to follow, very detailed, and the site had a lot of doll artists who were very encouraging. I was hooked.





Where does your inspiration come from?

It is usually from a mood, a mood that is expressed in a photo of someone's face. I seem to be drawn to faces that express a little melancholy. "The eyes are the window to the soul."




What does your work area look like?






What’s the best piece of advice you've been given?

It was from Diane Keeler: "Never use a flat tool when sculpting a round surface," and, "pinch off a piece of clay that you think is the right size, then pinch it in half."




What is your primary medium?





I am really enjoying sculpting with Puppen, an oven bake clay. It seems to meld more easily than other polymer clays I've used. I also use Apoxie Sculpt and Creative Paper Clay.


What research do you do before you create?

This is an area that I've just begun to explore. The internet, of course, provides an endless supply of images, information on a particular style or period of time.




How has your practice change over time?

In the beginning, I wanted to work quickly, and produce many dolls. I think I rushed the process. I would settle for "good," if I really didn't like a particular feature of the face, I didn't fuss over it, I'd just keep going. Now, I will spend more time, until I get it to be my best work possible.



What advice would you give new doll artist ?

Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't compare yourself to others. I tell this to myself as well. Be authentic, have your art reflect who you are. Each time you create a doll, a little piece of you goes with it. Enjoy the process.

What is your dream project?




My dream would to create two series of dolls a year, of 5-6 dolls with particular themes.
And of course, have gallery exposure.

 Where can our fans find you online?


LucysBaby.blogspot.com
LucysBaby.etsy.com
ArtDollsOnly.facebook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment