See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

12.30.2012

Member Spotlight: LuLu Lancaster from LuLu's Apple


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is LuLu Lancaster from LuLu's Apple. Lulu is from Hopland, California. 



What Kind of Dolls do you create?

I create weird little goth dolls. I like to say they are emotional wrecks because I find that is my connection with them. Something somewhere in their life went wrong and I like to think I am releasing it. lol
Currently my dolls are created from polymer clay. I do like to experiment and have made some from paper clay.





How long have you been a doll maker?


I have been a doll maker since 2007.


How did you get your start in doll making?

A trip to San Francisco Museum of modern art to see an exhibition of Picasso in 2007 started it for me. Shown were his models for paintings - he created complex sculptures for some of his paintings. I had been struggling with a particular pose for a painting. I had my daughters pose, I sketched, I took photographs, but nothing helped. So, I had an idea: I would make a doll to serve as my model.


How has your practice changed over time?

Starting out I created cloth dolls to serve as models for my paintings. I was also using needle felting at the time to create designs on wool scarves. I soon discovered needle felting could create dolls too. My first doll I sold was a needle felted rabbit. It was not long after that before I tried polymer and was hooked.





Where does your inspiration come from?

It comes from life being a mother and watching my 5 children grow and the turmoil they have had and put me through. I feel like every time I sculpt a sad little face a little is lifted off me.
I'm a big family genealogy/history fan. I try to add some period flare and country specific elements to my work. My father was a collector of many things and I have used some of his stash of objects in my steampunk dolls. I love that although he has passed years ago, his hoard is making its way out into the world. ;)




What is your favorite supply to work with?

Fabric. I cannot get enough.


What is the most difficult part of your process?

I would have to say the shoes. I hand sew them from leather. I cannot start to count how many times I have stabbed my fingers before I realized I should use pliers to pull the needle through.





What does your work area look like?



I have a dedicated studio space off the house. It was a game room but after the kids mostly moved out I took it over. I'm a bit OCD over my studio space. I cannot work when things are out of place. 


What memorable responses have you had to your work?

A collector of mine had a difficult situation in her life. I had been in contact with her for a few months. I knew what she was going through as I'd had a similar situation years earlier. She connected with my dolls and had similar life experiences. She took to a particular doll and kept this doll by her bedside. I was completely honored that this doll meant that much to her. And that is what this is to me, making that connection with others.



What advice would you give new doll artists?

To create like you own the art supply store. Old advice, but I have always followed this.
Use what you have and use it up, don't save it for later because later it might just sit on the shelf. Experiment experiment experiment. I have learned the most from just trying new things and some have become a standard technique.

What is your dream project?

To make a bjd. I don't even know where to start.  I am terribly impatient so I would need nothing else on my plate or in my mind so I do not wander away from it once I start. But I have been thinking of it for a year now.

Where can your fans find you online?

I am at
http://lulusapple.etsy.com
and my blog
http://lulusapplesauce.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment