See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

2.20.2013

Member Spotlight: Xanthi Agiridi of Bottle Whimsies


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Xanthi Agiridi of Bottle Whimsies. Xanthi is from Larissa, Greece.


What kind of Art Dolls do you create? 

I create one-of-a-kind folk art dolls.






What is your primary medium? 

I work with polymer clay and for some of my dolls I use glass bottles as well.





How long have you been a doll maker? 

I’ve been creating dolls since 2007, but I became more actively involved two years ago.


How has your practice changed over time? 

From making OOAK fairies, I decided to jump into the realm of folk art last year. I’ve always been attracted to the charm that the past carries, and when I discovered primitive & folk art dolls I instantly fell in love!  I then realized this was the kind of dolls which would reflect my soul in the best possible way.


Where does your inspiration come from? 

I draw inspiration from fairy tales and dreams, as well as my favorite holidays, Christmas and Halloween.


What is the most difficult aspect in your process, and how you manage it? 

Sometimes it seems as if the clay has a mind of its own! No matter how hard I try I can’t shape it the way I want, but instead of giving up, I take a little break and resume sculpting later. Miraculously, my doll starts to take shape and slowly come to life!




Do have any doll artists that inspire you? 

There are so many talented dollmakers out there that I admire, and it would be unfair to name just some of them. However, I feel the need to mention Hannie Sarris, who is the reason I started making dolls. She was one of the best dollmakers out there and I will never forget her generosity and kindness! I feel so privileged to be among those who got the chance to meet her!


What advice would you give new doll artists? 

Be creative, original and guided by your instinct, and always remember to never give up on your dreams!


What is your dream project? 

It’s not actually a project, but I would love if dollmaking became more widespread in Greece and there were doll clubs and expos. Most importantly, it would be great if people over here started seeing dolls as a form of art and not just a toy that children play with!


Where can our fans find you on line?

http://bottlewhimsies.blogspot.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/bottlewhimsies?fref=ts

3 comments: