See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

3.05.2013

Member Spotlight: Dessa Rae Greenwood


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Dessa Rae Greenwood.  Dessa is an art doll artist from Utah.  Check out her beautiful work!


What kind of Art Dolls do you create?  
I tend to create miniature Art Dolls...Babies, Faeries, Little Mermaids, however, I started out making life size cloth babies, and sculpted 18 to 26 inch little girls...but through the years my style has shrunk and gotten smaller..
                                                                  Pixie Moppets 3"
As One 5" Polymer
Pandora 9" Dolls Award of Excellence Nominee 1997

What is your primary medium?
For the longest time it was cloth...then from cloth I went to Polymer clay.  Now my hands are not as strong as they used to be and I find the Polymer clay is just too hard for me to handle, even when I put it in the food processor.  My fingers get really sore and cracked when I sculpt.
I am now in the process of changing mediums...I am going from Polymer clay to Air Dry clay... I hope this change will give me the relief I need to continue my passion for sculpting.  I am experimenting right now with Creative Paperclay and Ladoll.  So far I am liking the change, but it is quite a change for me. I am always up for a challenge...

How long have you been a doll maker?
Going on 35 years

How did you get your start in doll making?
I started making dolls in 1978 when my first daughter was born.  I made a little doll for her when she was a baby and then I made another one and then another...I was addicted... I was walking in the mall one day with my daughter in her stroller and someone came up to me and ask where I got my daughters doll...I told her I made it, and she ask if I had any more... I took her name, and made her a doll and it just went uphill from there. We were so poor back then with 4 babies 8 and under that I didn't get any pictures of my first cloth dolls...

Do you have a favorite doll that you have made? 
Yes, I think my favorite doll of all the dolls that I have made is "Sweetness". She is One-of-a-Kind, Polymer Clay, 22 inches, Cloth Body, Baked in mohair. She was featured in Dolls Magazine.
What are your favorite materials to create with? 
I love anything vintage..I try to incorporate vintage materials anytime I can.  My favorite thing
to do is browse the antique shops hunting for special treasures.  I love old keys, scraps of material, baby shoes, lace, buttons, I love it all.
Where does your inspiration come from?
I get inspiration from all aspects of life...a piece of vintage fabric...a song...a movie, it just depends on my mood.

Do have any doll artists that inspire you?
When I first started sculpting my favorite artist was Anna Abigail Brahms...her dolls are so ethereal and other worldly...still my favorite today.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
I remember talking to Jack Johnston about my company name which used to be "D" Originals. He suggested a company name that incorporates my name in it, so people will know who I am.  So I changed the name to Dessa Rae Original Art Dolls...and it has been that name ever since.

Where can our fans find you on line? 
 My New ♥ Mini Babies ♥ Website
Official Dessa Rae Original Art Dolls Website
My Blog
Facebook
Etsy
Pinterest
Where some of my dolls have been featured
                                                                           Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment