See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

3.10.2013

Member Spotlight: Jessica Ferguson

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Jess Ferguson, born and raised in the mountains of Southern West Virginia and now living in Niagara Falls, NY 


What kind of Art Dolls do you create?
My dolls are Wild Wimmin, Root Witches, Healing Dolls and Art for Your Soul


Mother Herb
(but I still make a few Wild Things - dolls that call to my soul, but that aren't quite Wild Wimmin)   

Making Magick
What is your primary medium?
Roots, twigs, found & recycled materials and polymer clay

How did you get your start in doll making?
I made dolls with my Great Grandmother Ferguson from the time I was little. But I stopped for a long time after she passed away. I started making dolls again in 2006 when I made one for a very dear friend. It was the first time I had ever tried to use polymer clay and let's just say it was an adventure. lol   While I was making my friend's  doll, I remembered how much joy I got making dolls with my Granny, and I haven't stopped since. 

Where did you learn to make dolls?
I'm basically self taught. I searched online and found wonderful doll artists, who were willing to to share tips and techniques and I just soaked it all up.  

Share a little about your first doll.
I still have my first doll. She is a very worn, stained and battered Raggedy Ann. I never went anywhere without her. Now she has a place of honor in my cedar chest, because she is just too loved to survive handling anymore. 

How has your practice change over time?
I started out really trying to make what I saw other doll makers doing. Not their exact style, but similar things. 
Then I took a wonderful online workshop with Barb Kobe (barbkobe.com) called Medicine Dolls. That was the turning point for me. Everything changed, and what a wonderful change it was. I learned the healing capacity of dolls. I also learned that dolls can be as much a healing catalyst for the maker as the recipient. 
Actually I just made a big change. I renamed my doll business Wild Wimmin to reflect my focus on the natural and Spiritual. Before that, I was OnceUponAMoon Studio.  


Mother Earth
Wind Dancer
Be-wilder
Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?
"She Who Gathers Tears" is the first doll I made with Barb Kobe, and she is still my all time favorite. 
She Who Gathers Tears
Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration flows from Spirit*. I don't plan my dolls, they evolve. I meditate and spend sacred time as I create each doll. I make my healing dolls with intent, focusing my energy on the purpose of the doll. With my Wild Wimmin and my Root Witches, they spring from the energy and inspiration I receive from Spirit*. 
*(insert higher power of your choice here - we are all following different paths to the same love) 
Keeper of The Keys
Mother Herb
Wild One
One of the Old Souls
Windswept
What is the most difficult aspect in your process?
Tiny seed beads are the nemesis of my soul!! lol I always seem to lose more than I stitch on. 

What does your work area look like? 
I'm lucky enough to have my own space to create my art in. It's not big, it's not fancy, but it's a sacred place where I can put all my energies into my art, and I love it. I have a window that overlooks a lovely park. It's just perfect for me. But it's not so neat at the moment, so how about I show you my last show booth? 

Do have any doll artists that inspire you?
I would have to say Barb Kobe, of course. Dee Schiller of Odd Fae, and Kevin Buntin are also amazing artists. Oh there are just so many! I get inspired by every doll artist I encounter, especially those at ADO.  Each one has their own special energy and style.  How could you not be inspired? 

Where can our fans find you on line? 
They can find me on my website:
www.wildwimmin.com
On my facebook page:
http;//www.facebook.com/WildWimmin
And my Etsy store is here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildWimmin




1 comment:

  1. I love your name 'Wild Wimmin' and of course your work.

    ReplyDelete