See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

3.20.2013

Member Spotlight: Kylie Dexter


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Kylie Dexter.  Check out her wonderful dolls!

BIO. Hi My name is Kylie Dexter and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I am a counselor
and personal trainer but my passion is doll making. I am a self taught artist that makes
felt and paper clay dolls. I have just recently been able to start making dolls full time! A
dream come true for me 


What kind of Art Dolls do you create?
I create Felt dolls, using different types of wool (My favorite being cashmere). I use real alpaca or mohair for the hair. I also use paper clay which I adore. I use glastic eyes or glass eyes for my dolls, some of which are hand painted.


How long have you been a doll maker? I started making dolls in the late 90’s
after my son, Zen was born. We watched a lot of Tim Burton!!. I went from making
dream catchers and jewelry to making dolls. It is my passion I love it. I have really only
become confident enough to sell online recently, prior to that I sold at markets and via
word of mouth. Right now, I am dedicating all my time to my art.






What does your work area look like?
We just bought our dream house by the sea with the best work room I could wish for. I
do stare out the window a lot of the time, which is not very productive!



 



What are you currently working on?
I am having a break from felt at the moment and am working with paperclay. My clay
skills are a bit average but I love working with it. Here is my version of Raoul Duke from
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He still needs his hawaiian shirt. Also my Tim Burton
inspired girl.





What food, drink, song inspires you?
Not sure about the food and drink!...that may be the biggest downfall is the sitting time 
Music is a major inspiration for me. It is a big part of my life outside of art but I use it to
inspire a lot of pieces. I have some dolls coming out that are named after lyrics from
certain songs. I try and listen to a particular album while working, Very meditative and
keeps the dolls fluid and interesting.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?. My husband keeps
reminding me to do what I love regardless of what happens. He has photos of my dolls
in his office, he is my biggest fan!. We always say that if I have trouble selling anything
we will travel around Australia when we are old in a big caravan selling weird and creepy
dolls from the back of our van.




Where can our fans find you on line?
www.dolldrums.com
www.indivinity.com.au
www.etsy.com/shop/dolldrums
www.facebook.com/dolldrumsdoll


What is the most difficult aspect in your process,
(anatomy/costuming/doing the bloody
hair) and how you manage it?
It would have to be the clothing for sure! I can’t use a sewing machine (I know…. the
shame the shame) I can hand sew but my pattern following skills are minimal at best. I
have big plans to do a sewing course, as soon as I find the time. I guess I manage by often
“building” the clothes around the dolls.

Share a little about your first doll
I started with clay dolls, but these are some
of my first felt dolls that worked, I
threw a lot of early felt dolls away. I made my son
the characters from Invador Zim a cartoon
that came out early 2000.




So that’s about all from me I hope
people love them as much as I love
making them Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment