See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

4.12.2013

Member Spotlight: Arelly Andrade


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Arelly Andrade from Mississauga, Canada.




What is your primary medium?
Air dry clay.

How long have you been a doll maker?
13 years.

How did you get your start in doll making?
I graduated as a Dental Lab Technician and have taken several art and human figure classes. My passion for dolls started when my second daughter was born. It started as a hobby doing small letters figures with teddy bears, soft dolls and Santa Claus. My hobby quickly became my work, designing and producing dolls for art shops and decoration stores in Colombia. Currently I'm working in arellya-dolls designing and making dolls.

Where did you learn to make dolls? 
I learned to make soft dolls in Bogota- Colombia 13 years ago. In 2009 I registered to the conference of the Canadian Doll Artists Association and took classes with Annie Wahl. With her I learnt how to make the body structure in wire and sculpt head, hands and feet in polymer clay. After that I started working myself with paper clay.

How has your practice change over time?
With time and practice you gain more experience. My work has transitioned from soft dolls to sculptures using polymer clay and Air clay.

What art do you most identify with?
All my artistic activity has been aligned with the human figure; the dolls are only one expression of that affinity.

Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?
Yes, I do. My favorite doll is Kahori, she is a paper clay sculpture and her costume is one of a kind!









What are you favorite materials to create with?
I like working with different material when I create my dolls like paper clay, polymer clay. leather, wire , tulle, fabric, acrylic paintings and others.

Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration comes from different sources, for instance children's stories, illustrations, magazines and pictures of children.

What does your work area look like?
 My studio looks like a small fabric store, where you can find buttons, ribbons, fabrics and in general all that I need to create my dolls. In a corner I have some of my finished work,a collection of bears, and others dolls. My studio is my other world.





Where can our fans find you online?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/arellya
http://arellya-doll.blogspot.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/ArellyaDolls
http://pinterest.com/arellyas/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arellya/

No comments:

Post a Comment