See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

4.20.2013

Member Spotlight: Emma Whitley from Gossamer Winged Creations


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Emma Whitley, of Gossamer Winged Creations. Emma is from Atlanta, Georgia. 


What kind of Art Dolls do you create? What is your primary medium?

I primarily create fantasy art dolls - fairies, pixies and goblins, to name a few. My primary medium is polymer clay

How long have you been a doll maker?

I have been making dolls since I was a little girl. At that time it was mostly sewing rag dolls and rabbits. I began using clay in 2001

Where did you learn to make dolls?

I taught myself to create dolls in polymer clay using books, on-line tutorials and trail and error.

What art do you most identify with?

Wendy & Brian Froud are the most inspirational artists to me. I love all their work in film and books.

Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?

My favorites change all the time, but at the moment my favorite is Sydnee Steampunk Fairy.



What are your favorite materials to create with?

Polymer clay, but also paints and fabric.

Where does your inspiration come from?

Definitely nature with a Celtic Spiritual essence. Also I was born and raised in England and that countryside is a huge inspiration.

What advice would you give new doll artists?

To new doll artists I would say try, try and try again and don't get disheartened. I definitely learned from any mistakes I made and sometimes the mistakes turned out to be a good thing

What song inspires you?

I always listen to music while creating. It depends on what mood I'm in as to what I'll listen to, but I find that it definitely helps with the process.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

Don't take criticism to heart. Learn from it and move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment