See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

4.15.2013

Member Spotlight - Jocelyn Grazca


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Jocelyn Grazca from Budapest, Hungary. 



What kind of Art Dolls do you create?
Medium sized (36cm) cloth art dolls










This is Tikvah, created from an adapted pattern by Rivkah Mizrahi at Doll Makers Muse.





What is your primary medium?
While I have a series of dolls called ‘The Ladies’ that are from wood, my favorite medium at present is cloth.

How long have you been a doll maker?
About five years

How did you get your start in doll making? Share a little about your first doll.
While recovering from a long battle with cancer, I had to be on bed rest for a couple of months. During this time I made my first doll, Miss Regency.





Her



Her body was a bean shaped clown’s body that I pulled the legs out of and made them longer. I then researched historical costuming and created Miss Regency. She and her ‘sisters’ won silver at the Hungarian International Doll Festival. She is 19cm (7 ½ in) tall.







Where did you learn to make dolls?
I attended university for Fine Art and Fashion Design. This is where I learned many of the skills that I incorporate into my dolls.

How has your practice changed over time?
I am now working with a larger doll size and have changed mediums to work with cloth for the bodies as well as the clothing.

Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?













This is The Princess and the Pea, created in 2012. She won silver at the Hungarian International Doll Festival.




What are your favorite materials to create with?
I love using found and repurposed materials. I scour the local flea markets and junk shops for materials I can use in my dolls and in my doll sets.

Where does your inspiration come from?
Inspiration can come from a picture, a book on style, a color of fabric or old illustrations from children’s books.

What is the most difficult aspect in your process, and how you manage it?
Drawing and painting on the faces. I always leave the faces to the very last. It almost feels like a ‘reveal’ when I finally paint the faces. The story of the doll is finished at that point for me, at least until I work with the photographer, when once again I rediscover the personality of the doll I created.

Do have any doll artists that inspire you?
The first doll artist I absolutely admired was Christine Alvarado at DuBuDu Designs. Her ‘story telling’ ability with her dolls and pictures totally blew me away. She is still the strongest influence on my art. Also, her generosity in giving so many of her art pieces away struck me as amazing.

What memorable responses have you had to your work?
An elderly man first saw my work at an exhibition at the Society for the Preservation of Hungary Crafts. He could not believe that there was such preservation of the beauty of childhood and he could not seem to ‘absorb’ enough of the art he was looking at.

What research do you do before you create?
I am a ferocious researcher. I spend days looking for pictures on the internet, tracking down just the right reference book , searching for the perfect fabric. Any new doll or set ‘lives’ for months in my mind while I am collecting all of the needed elements.  I work with a carpenter, iron worker and handyman to create the bases for my sets. They are from very non-artist backgrounds, however they have come to respect what I want to create and are willing to work with me until I am satisfied.

What are you currently working on?



















Where can our fans find you on line?

1 comment:

  1. Hello there - I am looking for a doll marking to create some Fairy dolls - where /how would I find someone?

    ReplyDelete