See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

5.05.2013

Member Spotlight: Alexandra Soury


Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Alexandra Soury.  Alexnadra is from Essonne, France.  Her art is beautiful - check it out! 


What kind of Art Dolls do you create? I create fantasy dolls based on imagination, myths, fairy tales.

Cordelia

Lisbeth


What is your primary medium? Air dry clay

How long have you been a doll maker? I discovered art dolls in 2010 and I made my first art doll in October 2010.

Where did you learn to make dolls? I learned everything on  internet, (you tube), thanks to tutorials and looking at pictures of the dolls that I found on the web that helped me understand how they were made.

Share a little about your first doll. 
my first doll is Lady Luce ,she's my first articulated doll in paper mache clay with a dress in tissue paper.


How has your practice change over time?
I tested a lot of different clays before finding the one that suits me, my faces were painted and I learned how to sculpt them , I had never touched (or very few) a needle not even to darning a sock and I learned to make sewing (which surprised my mother!) the passion for art dolls allowed me to discover a lot of new techniques and materials and I amaze myself every day.

Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?
 My Romantic Alice is one of my favorite ,Alice in wonderland is my favorite book .




What are your favorite materials to create with?  air dry clay ,lace and I love needle felt since I discover it .It made me a lot of new possibilities to accessorize hairs of my dolls .

Where does your inspiration come from? My inspiration comes from everything around me, images or pictures in magazines, television, films (especially those of Tim Burton), storybooks, an idea comes and I draw it , I have notebooks filled with sketches of future dolls, I always have a pencil and a notebook with me to don't forget an idea that might pass me by my head.

What does your work area look like? 
I'm working on the table of my dining room, I have a small space under my stairs (that I must ranks ....) and that I share with my children, a second part of my workshop is in my room. I do not have not room special creation.



Do have any doll artists that inspire you?
 A lot of artists inspire me !! Natalie Shau,Tim Burton ,Nicoletta Ceccoli ,Sheri Debow ,Mark Ryden and more !

What memorable responses have you had to your work?
I've had plenty! every good news is memorable, my first publication in Doll Collector in May 2012  , the first doll that is gone abroad and to know my dolls  in galleries or shows in various countries ,I live a daydream every time!

What advice would you give new doll artists?
Never give up, it takes work and perseverance to get there, and above all always believe in your dreams

What is your dream project? to live one day through my dolls ,be able to accompany my dolls during exhibitions  outside France and open an art dolls gallery in France.

 What are you currently working on? 
I work on an art doll inspiring by fashion,Paris ,she's for an exhibition in Moscow in May .



Where can our fans find you on line?

Shops : Etsy :https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlexandraSoury?ref=si_shop

Dollirium Gallery online : http://www.dollirium.com/OnlineGallery/tabid/97/CatID/14/Alexandra_Soury.aspx

Website: http://asoury.weebly.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment