See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

6.15.2013

Member Spotlight: Melinda Wood

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Melinda Wood, from Derby Line, Vermont.


1.  What kind of Art Dolls do you create?

I create fairies and babies out of polymer clay.



2. How did you get your start in doll making?

I happened to see some fairies on ebay made by Fita!  I was so amazed with her pretty fairies that I looked up what they were made of and when I found out about polymer clay I decided I had to buy some to try it out for myself!  That was about 8 years ago and I haven't stopped since!

3.  Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?

My favorite changes as I make new ones!  At the moment it is The Guardians!



4.  Where does your inspiration come from?

Most of my inspiration comes from watching people, especially children. Sometimes it also comes from shopping in antique stores and picking up a piece that I "see" a fairy in. Most recently I bought a glass tulip in an antique store because I "saw" Thumbelina in it!

5.  What is the most difficult aspect in your process, and how you manage it?

I hate realistic ears so usually I put on some kind of pointy fairy ear but I have been working very hard to do a more realistic human ear and with practice I may have it some day!

6.  What does your work area look like?

My work area can look pretty crazy sometimes!  This is one of three of my areas!



7.  What advice would you give new doll artists?

Lots and lots of patience and don't do it for the money, do it because you love doing it!

8.  Do you have any tips on marketing art dolls?

I think putting yourself out there as much as possible helps. When I post a link to an auction on Facebook, I notice that my website also gets more hits.  I also have a mailing list that I announce new auctions too.  Doll shows are not readily available to me so I must use whatever I can.  Doll magazines also take submissions of photos on different topics so it's a good idea to keep track and send in photos.

9.  What are you currently working on?

A fairy that will sit in a box that hangs on the wall.



10.  Where can our fans find you on line?

https://www.facebook.com/melinda.wood.14?ref=tn_tnmn

http://mindysfairies.weebly.com/

email: mindysfairies@comcast.net

etsy: mindy141

ebay:mindy141

No comments:

Post a Comment