See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

7.10.2013

Member Spotlight: Romina Berenice Canet

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Romina Berenice Canet.  Romina is from Argentina, and is living in Bristol, UK.

·  What kind of Art Dolls do you create?
I create sculpture and wall hanging jointed art dolls. I also create one of a kind jointed teddy bears.

·  What is your primary medium?
Fabric and clay.

·  How did you get your start in doll making?

. I have always been interested in dolls. I still have most of the the dolls from when I was a little girl and my mum has a wonderful doll collection. I am a fine artist and I have made a few dolls as presents for friends in the past. When I moved to the UK almost three years ago, I had more time to experiment and instantly knew where to start. I had seen some beautiful dolls on flickr where I shared my work and realised that that was the path I wanted to take. It am a writer, so it was also a way to carry on doing poetry without having to struggle with translation :)

·  Where did you learn to make dolls?
My father was an artisan and maker and I used to make things with him since I was very young. He worked with all kinds of materials and I had access to them. My mum is also a very talented and inspiring woman and we were used to making toys and things for fun together. They both taught me to appreciate art. I guess all that lead eventually to choosing fine art as my career. I can see how it all helped my doll making process. The rest has been reading, observing and experimenting.

·  Share a little about your first doll.
My first doll was a faerie paper doll. She was covered in glitter, drawn with felted pens on her front and her back. I was about 5 years old and thought it was fabulous to actually give it a front and a back. She looked pretty real to me! I used to take her everywhere. Recently I found her and brought her over to the UK, but sadly lost her head

·  How has your practice change over time?
I think that after trying different ways of making dolls I have discovered in which ways I am better at expressing what I want. My first dolls were either made out of clay or fabric. The combination of these two is much better for me now and gives me more freedom. I also feel less pressure to get things perfectly right and enjoy the process more, which I think gives better results.

·  Do you have a favorite doll that you have made?
At the moment I am in love with Colette. She is part of the collection I am working on inspired by the circus. But “Story”, my first clay doll, and “Meredith” also mean a lot to me. Mainly because of how much I learnt from making them and the encouragement I got from people to carry on making dolls after they
had seen them.

"Colette"


"Meredith"


"Story"

·  Where does your inspiration come from?
I am also a writer and a trapeze artist so literature and the circus are always present in my work. As well as my Latin American background and the thousands of stories from my childhood. Working in a studio where there are so many amazing artists, travelling and having my eyes wide open also helps.

·  What is the most difficult aspect in your process?
The most difficult aspect in my process is being patient. Each of my dolls usually take a long time. And not all of the process is so much fun. I find sanding and stuffing particularly boring. I manage it by drinking lots of coffee and listening to good music :)

·  What does your work area look like? 
I work from my studio at Jamaica Street Artist Studios, which is one of the largest artist-lead studios outside of London and has been established for 20 years. There are over 40 artists working there.
I love it because it has a very big window and its always bright!
I also have a room in my house, where I have my doll collection, my books, my computer and a nice desk. Both spaces are really comfortable and easy to mess up! :)

 Studio at Jamaica Street Artists Studios


 Studio at home

·  Do have any doll artists that inspire you?
Uf! There are so many talented artists that I love! Sheri Debow , Klaudia Gaugier, Paola Zakimi, Celena and Martin from The Filgree, Christine Alvarado ,Marina Bychkova, Julien Martinez, Ana Salvador ,,,The list could get really long and they are all very inspiring! :)

·  Where can our fans find you on line? 
They can find me on my website:
www.rominaberenicecanet.com 
On my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Romina-Berenice-Canet/
And there are some dolls for sale in Dollirum's website too:
http://www.dollirium.com/OnlineGallery/


"Rotunda, the ring master"

No comments:

Post a Comment