See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

8.25.2013

Member Spotlight: Amy Harrold of Pixie Craft Dolls

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

AMY HARROLD – PIXIE CRAFT DOLLS


Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom


1. What kind of Art Dolls do you create? 


I create one of a kind cloth art dolls.

My dolls usually have a pixie theme but I do create various different characters.



2. How long have you been a doll maker?


I have been doll making since the end of 2012 so I am still a “newbie”.  I have dabbled in various arts and crafts since a young age however. 



3. How did you get your start in doll making?


My mum (who is equally as creative), made me a cloth art doll for my birthday in June 2012. I loved the doll so much and thought it was so wonderful how she had managed to bring a piece of material to life in such a creative manner. 


I had not long dropped to part time hours at my job within the local police force due to bad health and it was at this point my mum and best friend both suggested I took up a hobby to fill my extra free time.

I decided to give cloth doll making a go and as soon as I started making my first doll, I was hooked! :-)


4. Share a little about your first doll.


This is my first doll. I called her Prototype as that is exactly what she is! She took me about 4 days to make. As difficult as I found it to make her, following various different instructions, I fell more and more in love with her with every little piece that began to take form.  


Prototype now sits pride of place on top of my shelving unit in my craft room. I will never part with her as she is a reminder of what I can achieve when I put my mind to something.  






5. Do you have a favorite doll that you have made? 


My favourite doll would have to be my first “50 shades of grey” doll. 


This doll was made for a lady who had requested a naughty doll. On questioning her a bit further it soon became clear that she had recently been swept away by the craze of the well known book and she wanted a doll which represented her minxy side.

I was given complete control over what the doll should look like and I went into a complete naughty whirlwind of ideas. It was so much fun! :)

She ended up with scarlet red hair, fish net stockings, hand cuffs and a mini copy of the book.

Needless to say, the owner absolutely loved her and she was so popular, I have made and sold several similar dolls since.


It’s difficult to choose a favourite doll as such, but this one is certainly my most memorable one yet.





This is another one of my favourites, My Mad Hatter doll.




 
6. Where does your inspiration come from?


I am inspired by so much, it truly is ridiculous! I love everything weird and wacky and Tim Burton films and characters are a huge passion of mine.  
I find inspiration from many things from superheroes, fantasy films and the general world around me. I can also be wandering around a shop and see someone walk past and find myself imagining that person as a doll, my husband worries about me at times ha ha. 
 I literally have so much going on in my head most of the time that I end up having to write ideas down so I don’t forget! 


7. What is the most difficult aspect in your process, (anatomy/costuming/doing the bloody hair) and how you manage it?


A few months ago the answer to this question would have definitely been turning fingers...it was the bane of my life for a while, but one day something clicked and now I find it fairly easy. 


The most difficult aspect now I would say is costuming. I have no training whatsoever in sewing and have never been taught anything. Everything I do is self taught. Dress making, for me, does not come easy and it is something I am learning as I go along. I am so thankful for all the websites and videos available that have numerous hints and tips on this subject as they really do help....failing that, my mum is always available on the end of a phone to help me.




8. What does your work area look like?


Messy!! 
I call it my craft cave. I do try to keep things organised but sometimes things do get thrown about occasionally. There is usually some form of glitter on the floor (I call it my added sparkles).







9. What advice would you give new doll artists?


Just go for it! Let your imagination run away with you completely. There is no right or wrong way of making dolls and anyone can make them. I am living proof of this as I had never owned a sewing machine until last year and have no training whatsoever. 


Love every creation and make sure you take photos of everything you make. Even if you manage to sell your dolls, it is always nice to have pictures so you can remember what you have made. 


Use the Internet!

YouTube is marvellous for picking up hints and tips and watching tutorials in the early days.

Pinterest and Flickr are amazing for inspiration ideas as well as meeting other crafty people.

Facebook and Twitter are essential for you to share your wonders with the world.


Most importantly, enjoy it :) 


10. Where can our fans find you on line? 


My website  www.pixie-crafts.co.uk







1 comment: