See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

8.10.2013

Member Spotlight:Michelle DiPinto of Michelle's Art Dolls

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT! ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)

Today's member spotlight is Michelle DiPinto of Michelle's Art Dolls (M. A. D.). Michelle lives outside of London, Ontario, Canada. Here's what Michelle told us about her inspiration and work as a doll artist.

Hello all. I create one of a kind art dolls in polymer clay, paperclay, wool and stone clay. My favourite  medium at the moment is stone clay. I enjoy the feel of the wet clay and lightness of the dolls when they are finished.

Simone and her Raven (Polymer Clay)
Greta (Stone Clay)
      
I have always been 'into art'. As a child I would draw, paint and sew stuffies. I was fortunate to attend a specialized art program in high school. The program allowed me the opportunity to explore several mediums. My Art Doll adventure began 3 years ago. My youngest came home with a school project. Her assignment was to make a toy. As I watched her sculpt the head and body of her doll, I began to sculpt my own. This was the beginning of my new obsession. Art Dolls enable me to combine my love for sculpting, painting and fashion. For the time being it is how I choose to express my creative side. 

My first set of polymer dolls were inspired by my 4 children and I tried to capture their unique characters in the dolls. (there is 5 in the pic for balance of the photo, picture below)




I have several favorite dolls. My current favorites are the bird inspired dolls. I am fascinated by birds, the colors, their feet and the textures around their beaks. The dolls below are made from polymer clay. Each feather is individually cut, sculpted and placed on the doll.  


    Chicken Lady
w.i.p Chicken Lady

    Edwina (wip)

Ideally I like my work space to be tidy. I cannot start a new doll when it is not. Everything has its place, labelled of course, and that is where it goes. I assign a bin to each work in progress and they are neatly stacked on a table. Reality, however is a different story, especially when a deadline is quickly approaching. Shame on me but this is the organized chaos (pictured below) during a creative binge.

Before

After

The advice I would give to a new doll artist would be make what you like and don't over think it. Every doll artist has their own style. Create and experiment. We learn through trial and error and sometimes our 'errors' make the most unusual and exquisite dolls. Sometimes they don't and that is ok. Myself. I have a drawer of partially made dolls that I felt at the time didn't work. I keep them and when I have a few hours I pick one out and finish it. Sometimes fresh eyes and time is all it needs. 




    Jack 

    You can find my creations at:  
    www.michelledipinto.com (FB Fan Page) or

    https://www.facebook.com/michelle.d.pinto.1

    ETSY:  https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MichellesArtDolls

    Latitude 44 Gallery in Toronto, ON:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Latitude-44-Gallery-Framing-D├ęcor/163233427035025?ref=br_tf

    Dollirium Art Doll Emporium, London, ON: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollirium-Art-Doll-Emporium/156458737748278?ref=br_tf 

    or www.dollirium.com

    1 comment:

    1. Love your dolls they are really interesting and intriguing.

      ReplyDelete